Casablanca Beaches are Now At Public Companies Hands

Rabat – The Casablanca City Council signed four conventions with a public company for environment and beach management to organize beach entertainment programs starting this summer.Starting in May, Casablanca beach-goers will no longer have to worry about paying exorbitant prices to rent an umbrella, table, or chairs, as the Casablanca City Council has decided to bring the beaches, which are overseen by private companies, under public management.The poor conditions caused by mismanagement at the Lalla Meriem, Ain Diab, and Ain Sebaa beaches of Casablanca have caused the City Council to sign a three-year agreement to transfer management to public organizations dedicated to protecting the environment, reported Assabah on Friday. In addition to setting prices higher than necessary, the same source adds that the private management companies did not comply with the government’s decision to divide public space, allotting 30 percent to business owners, while leaving the remaining 70 percent for citizens. read more