A team of geologists and archaeologists is about to start looking for ancient sites in the Debert-Belmont area of Colchester County where the early ancestors of the Mi’kmaq once lived. The sites are the earliest evidence of human settlement in the province, and are considered to be of provincial, national and international significance. The province will provide $93,800 for the project, which is part of an ongoing effort by the aboriginal community to protect and interpret the Mi’kmaq presence in the Debert area. The project will be managed by the Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq. “Evidence of Mi’kmaw history that might have been lost forever will be saved, thanks to this partnership project with the province,” said Don Julien, executive director, Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq. “The research will help us protect the archaeological sites where our Mi’kmaw ancestors once lived.” The Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage will invest $48,800 and the Office of Aboriginal Affairs will provide $45,000 to identify Debert’s early Mi’kmaq archaeological sites from the Paleo Period, approximately 11,000 to 12,000 years old. The project includes creation of an inventory of the sites, study of the findings, and development of plans to ensure their preservation. “It is important that we identify and protect sites which will help current and future generations better understand the history and culture of our Mi’kmaq residents,” said Michael Baker, Minister of Aboriginal Affairs. “This project is an important part of preserving Nova Scotia’s rich cultural and natural heritage,” said Rodney MacDonald, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. “We are investing in this vital work through the Nova Scotia Historic Places Initiative, a program that identifies and celebrates sites that have historic significance in our communities.” Earlier this week, a team led by the Department of Natural Resources started exploring the area to identify and map land forms from the Paleo Period. Land formations and waterways were very different 12,000 years ago. By knowing how the landscape looked in the past, archaeologists can determine more precisely the location of ancient places. The research will be used to identify and map the boundaries of archaeological sites. A site management plan will be developed to ensure preservation and protection.
by The Canadian Press Posted Jan 17, 2017 2:00 am MDT Last Updated Jan 18, 2017 at 6:40 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Shell Canada seals second deepwater well off Nova Scotia, silent on results HALIFAX – Shell is moving to seal off the second of its two deepwater exploration wells off Nova Scotia.The company began work on the Monterey Jack well on the Scotian Shelf on Sept. 25, shortly after abandoning its Cheshire well in the Nova Scotia offshore, about 250 kilometres southeast of Halifax.Shell spokesman Cameron Yost said in an email Monday that sealing the well involves “the installation and testing of multiple barriers in the wellbore.”He also said it is too early to speculate on what the results of the well are, saying it will take some time to analyze the information gathered from Monterey Jack by a contracted exploration vessel.Petroleum geologist Grant Wach, a professor at Dalhousie University, cautions deep waters off the Scotian Shelf may require a number of exploration wells before firm conclusions are reached, adding that it required more than 30 wells to make the Grand Banks discovery off Newfoundland.Wach said in an email that he’ll continue to watch what decision BP takes in terms of drilling their potential exploration sites on the Scotian shelf.He also said that Shell’s original news release left the option of drilling five other exploration wells, and these may be the key future sign of whether their deepwater play continue to be possibilities.“If they drill more wells, they are interested,” he said.In addition, there are bid rounds for exploration licensing coming up this year and in 2018 and Wach said interest in these blocks will also be a sign of whether Nova Scotia’s offshore is continuing to attract investment.However, the deepwater drilling off Nova Scotia has attracted opposition from municipal leaders, environmentalists and fishermen’s groups concerned about the possibility of a blowout.During the drilling of the Cheshire well — which did not show commercial quantities of hydrocarbons — the ship contracted to drill the well dropped two kilometres of pipe and other drilling gear onto the ocean floor on March 5.The incident occurred after the ship unlatched the drilling gear from the wellhead due to heaving seas, and was moving away from the site.There were no injuries or spills, but a report has noted the accident was costly and caused delays in the drilling effort.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version incorrectly reported the Cheshire well showed commercial quantities of hydrocarbon.