Families say ‘no’ to drug debts

first_imgWhatsApp Linkedin Advertisement Previous articleInsp. Reidy warns on morning-after hangoverNext articleLimerick GAA Prepares for European Finals admin Treatment centres first port of callFAMILIES and friends of Limerick drug addicts are more reluctant to bail them out by meeting dealers demands – with the result that treatment centres are first port of call.However, court statistics reveal that intimidation and threats of force by dealers continue.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Bushy Park treatment centre in Ennis deals with a large volume of referrals from Limerick, and centre manager, Margaret Nash, told the Limerick Post that since the start of the recession, families are contacting them much sooner when there is a problem.“Families are not bailing people out by paying off their drug dealers anymore. They can’t afford it,” Ms Nash said.In the boom years, many would try to protect their loved ones from the threats of dealers or the prospect of prison by handing over cash and even going to the extreme of remortaging their home. “But now people are either saying to themselves and the person abusing substances that they can’t afford to do it or, in many cases, where it would have previously been easy to raise money through a loan that’s not possible now,” Ms Nash said.Rory Keane of the Limerick based Regional Drug and Alcohol Co-ordination Unit, said that he can also see how, since the recession began, “it’s harder to put off the inevitable collapse around mounting debts because of drug abuse”.Mr Keane added that the other impact which has been observed is  that the “market for illegal drugs has contracted. This may be due to the recreational, weekend drug users cutting back”. The type of drugs being used by clients of the unit has also changed, with a drop-off in numbers using heroin from November of last year until August of this year.“Users are reporting that heroin was harder to get during that period but it seems to be becoming more freely available again,” he told the Limerick Post. From just a handful of users a decade ago, there are now 96 people attending clinics for heroin abuse in Limerick with a further 101 clients attending their GP’s.But by far the largest problem, according to both centres, is the abuse of alcohol, with the abuse of benzodiazepin (antidepressants) also widespread. Twittercenter_img Print Email Facebook NewsLocal NewsFamilies say ‘no’ to drug debtsBy admin – October 27, 2011 701 last_img read more

California’s suspension of death penalty doesn’t indicate a trend: Expert

first_imgChrisBoswell/iStock(NEW YORK) — There are 737 prisoners in California whose executions are now paused after the governor issued a moratorium on the state’s death penalty policy, but that doesn’t mean anything will change for good — in the state or the country.Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to issue an executive order to halt all executions in the state fits within his purview as the state’s leader, but it doesn’t change the law.Newsom, a Democrat who was sworn into office earlier this year, acknowledged that while the order is just one step in the right direction, he is optimistic about the law changing to permanently ban the death penalty in the state some day.“I am hopeful that, that will one day occur,” Newsom said Wednesday.The moratorium comes after Californians voted against a repeal of the death penalty in 2016, which, at the time, Newsom told a local newspaper’s editorial board that if he were elected governor that he would “be accountable to the will of the voters,” according to The Sacramento Bee.Critics, including The Association of Deputy District Attorneys for Los Angeles County (LA ADDA), found that discrepancy to be a sticking point with his new proposal.Michele Hanisee, president of the LA ADDA, issued a statement Tuesday after Newsom’s plan was announced, saying that he “is usurping the express will of California voters and substituting his personal preferences via this hasty and ill-considered moratorium on the death penalty.”But, in the news conference immediately after signing the executive order Wednesday morning, Newsom said that the voters chose to put him in office knowing that he has long been opposed to the death penalty.“The people of the state of California have entrusted me by their will and by constitutional right to do exactly what I’m doing,” Newsom said Wednesday.Since the law does not change as a result of Newsom’s order, California remains as one of the 30 states that has the death penalty. That said, California now joins three other states — Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania — where governors have issued moratoriums on executions.There are currently 20 states and the District of Columbia that do not have the death penalty in their penal codes.Evan Mandery, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said that the governor’s change shouldn’t be seen as a bellwether for the country at large.“California is a really odd outlier on the death penalty. California has historically been a massive producer of death sentences, but very rarely executes anyone,” said Mandery, who has written several books on the death penalty. “The death penalty will end in the United States. It’s just a matter of when.”California has executed 13 people since the death penalty was reenacted in 1976, though they have more than double the amount of prisoners on death row than any other state.“Executions have dropped dramatically over the past decade, the trend in state legislatures has been to reject capital punishment and public opinion has slowly, but surely been turning against the death penalty,” said Mandery.According to the non-profit Death Penalty Information Center, the state’s 13 executions ranks as the 17th deadliest state. Texas is the highest on the list, with 560 executions since the law was re-instated. That’s more than four times the amount of the second-deadliest state, Virginia, where there were 113 executions, or the third-deadliest, which is Oklahoma with 112 executions.Mandery added that rather than discussing the issue of the death penalty in America, he said that the numbers essentially suggest that “it’s just the death penalty in the south.”“The question is how it ends, and Texas will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into modern times and it may take the Supreme Court to do that. And if the Supreme Court doesn’t do it, it may take 50 years for it to end,” he said.As for what the California moratorium means, Mandery didn’t put much weight behind the move.“I don’t think it’s a harbinger of anything that matters because California is such an outlier and the places that need to change are all in the deep south,” Mandery said.“The governor of Texas isn’t issuing a moratorium anytime soon,” he said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

USA: Arleigh-Burke Class Destroyer Trio Named

first_img View post tag: Naming USA: Arleigh-Burke Class Destroyer Trio Named September 23, 2013 View post tag: Peralta View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Guided View post tag: Johnson View post tag: Ralph View post tag: Finn Industry news View post tag: Destroyer’s Share this article View post tag: class View post tag: USS A naming ceremony was held at Naval Base San Diego for the Arleigh-Burke class guided- missile destroyers USS John Finn (DDG 113), USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114) and USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115) Sept. 20.Friends and family attended the ceremony and Lt. Gen. John A Toolan Jr., Marine Expeditionary Force commanding general, gave the keynote address.Toolan expressed that the three men for which the ships are named, were like anchors within their units and set a high standard for heroism within the services. “These three men are examples of the service, sacrifice, dedication and the heroism it took to be that anchor from World War II to Vietnam to Iraq,” said Toolan. “We’re here today to name these destroyers in their honor. These destroyers will be able to conduct a variety of operations, from peace time presence and crisis management, to sea control and power projection.”Georgeann McRaven, sponsor of the USS Ralph Johnson, said she’s looking forward to working with and supporting the ship and it’s crew as it transforms from raw metal to a war-fighting vessel. “I will become part of the ship. I’ll be kind of like a den mother to the crew,” said McRaven. “It will be wonderful when the ship has a crew and will be able to go out to see for the first time. I look forward to it.”Lt. John Finn was the first Medal of Honor recipient of World War II. He was honored for defending his ship from Japanese aircraft for over two hours during the attack on Pearl Harbor despite being shot twice and having numerous shrapnel wounds. He died at the age of 100 in 2010.Pfc. Ralph Johnson was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in March 1968 after jumping on a hand grenade that was thrown into his fighting hole to save the life of a fellow Marine and to prevent the enemy from penetrating his patrol perimeter.Sgt. Rafael Peralta was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross after taking critical gunshot wounds and later grabbing live grenade and covering it with his body to save his fellow Marines during a firefight in Fallujah, Iraq, Nov. 2004.[mappress]Press Release, September 23, 2013; Image: View post tag: Navy View post tag: Missile View post tag: Naval View post tag: Defense View post tag: Ceremony Back to overview,Home naval-today USA: Arleigh-Burke Class Destroyer Trio Named View post tag: Rafael View post tag: Arleigh-Burke View post tag: Defence View post tag: Johnlast_img read more

Long Island Snow Storm to Bring Up to 5 Inches

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The sun sets over vast patches of ice on the Great South Bay in West Islip on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014.A winter storm is forecast to dump two-to-five inches of wet snow Monday on Long Island, making for a messy commute to start off the week.The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory, in effect 5 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday, for much of the tristate area, warning that periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will make traveling difficult with slippery roads and visibility of a half mile or less.“Light rain or a rain-snow mix should commence early Monday morning,” the agency said in a statement. “As the precipitation becomes heavier Monday morning…the precipitation will chance all to snow [which] will taper off from west to east by late afternoon and end early evening.”While tempreatures are in the mid-30s, a wintry mix is expected to start before 4 a.m. and then switch to rain and snow before changing to just snow after 7 a.m. The wet snow may bring down tree branches and power lines, causing outages in some areas, NWS warned.Once that passes, less than an inch more snow and rain is expected to start falling before 11 p.m. Tuesday, then changing to sleet between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m.The rain is forecast to continue Wednesday afternoon before tapering off, giving way to a sunny Thursday and Friday, but another chance of snow Friday night through next weekend.last_img read more