All-out witch-hunt against media

first_img News Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff RSF_en Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Follow the news on Egypt EgyptMiddle East – North Africa EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News February 6, 2021 Find out more Please find enclosed three listings on the violence against the press:- one for detained reporters (arrested, interrogated, missing)- one for attacked reporters (physical assaults)- one for media-related actions (closure of an office, camera confiscated…)Green = a reporter that has been detained or attacked and something happened to his equipmentYellow = info to verify absolutelyOrange = reporter attacked and detained Related documents Journalists detainedPDF – 48.84 KBJournalists attackedPDF – 63.25 KBmedias equipmentPDF – 35.17 KB Organisation Since Wednesday 2 FebruaryMany journalists who were attacked refused to give their names or identify the media organizations to which they are attached for fear of reprisals. Sylvain Castonguay, cameraman for Radio Canada, was punched in the face while covering the clashes between opponents and supporters of President Hosni Mubarak. Demonstrators helped him get out of the crowd. The army intervened to take him to his hotel. Mohamed Khayal and photographer Magdi Ibrahim of the Egyptian daily Al-Shoruk were injured and their camera destroyed when a group of men described as plain clothes policemen attacked the offices of the newspaper in Cairo. Military officers confiscated a press card and a SC memory card belonging to a journalist from Al-Masry al-Youm on the streets of Cairo. The newspaper evacuated its headquarters after hearing of the attack on Al-Shoruk.Individuals in civilian clothing surrounded the offices of Sawsan Abu Hussein, deputy editor of the Egyptian magazine October, after a call from her to a live television broadcast in which she reported the violence being used against demonstrators.Serge Dumont, a Belgian journalist who is correspondent in the Middle East for the Belgian daily Le Soir, Le Temps of Switzerland and France’s Voix du Nord arrested by the army intelligence services and accused of spying has been detained for two days. (See,39458.html)Anderson Cooper and Hala Gorim of CNN, Christiane Amanpour of ABC News, Jerome Boehm of the BBC, Katie Couric of CBS and Lara Setrakian of Bloomberg were attacked by Mubarak supporters. According to Lara Setrakian their attackers saw the camera and threw themselves on it.Ahmed Bajano, correspondent ofAl-Arabiya, was beaten up. His film crew was attacked at the Mustafa Mahmud square at Mohandiseen by men in civilian dress. He suffered concussion and was taken to a nearby hospital.Ahmed Abdullah, also from the satellite television channel Al-Arabiya, was detained by Mubarak supporters. He was roughly handled and then freed. Steffen Jensen, a journalist from the Danish television station TV2 News, was attacked by a group of men after refusing to give them his cell phone and passport. They struck him with sticks. Rupert Wingfield-Hayes of the BBC was attacked in his car in the street by a group of “angry men.” He was handed over to the secret police who handcuffed and blindfolded him. With a colleague he was taken in for interrogation. They were freed after three hours.Pierre Barbancey of the French newspaper Humanité, Thomas Cantaloube of the French website Mediapart, Vincent Lafargue, freelance photographer and Sarah Mabrouk, freelance, were arrested by Mubarak supporters on their way back to their hotel. They were handed over to the military and held for two hours in a barracks near the city centre before being freed.Sahar Talat, correspondent in Egypt for the Spanish service of RFI, was surrounded and beaten by a crowd accusing her of being a spy for Al Jazeera before she managed to escape.A journalist working for the German channel ZDF and the New York Times was arrested on 2 February while driving from Alexandria to Cairo. She spent 20 hours in a high security institution in Cairo and was freed the following afternoon. Photographer Mohammed Omar, of the European Pressphoto Agency (EPA), was attacked and suffered a head injury while taking pictures of the confrontations between opponents and backers of Mubarak in Tahrir Square on 2 February. He was arrested by troops soon after and released the next day.Dutch journalist Harald Doornbos of GPD was attacked by demonstrators armed with machetes while leaving the area of the clashes with his wife, a reporter for an Arab television station. The mob stopped their taxi and broke its windshield. Three Egyptians then mediated to save his life and that of his wife. Peter Stefanovic, the European correspondent of the Australian television station Channel 9, was forced out of his taxi by the police. With his crew he was questioned briefly in a police command center before being released. The hotel security services confiscated their second camera. A journalist from Fox TV Turkey, his Egyptian cameraman and their driver were kidnapped by men with knives while filming the demonstrations before being freed by police, according to the Turkish news agency Anatolia.Reporter Habel Robert and photographer Lutz Christian of the Swiss weekly L’Illustré were arrested and held in a tank. There has been no further news of them. Three photographers who did not wish to be named for fear of reprisals said they had been followed by police officers into their hotel and beaten up. Another journalist said herd had been hit by stones thrown by plain clothes police.Three journalists from the French channel France 24 were detained and released after a few hours. One journalist from the French daily Le Figaro and three from the French TV station TF1 were also detained. News to go further News February 1, 2021 Find out more February 3, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 All-out witch-hunt against media Reporters Without Borders is aware of the following incidents involving journalists and news media. The list is far from exhaustive:Journalists attacked: 26Confiscated material: 4 cases Media offices attacked: 1 Disappeared journalists: 3 Arrested/kidnaped: 19 1 journalist in coma Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders is horrified by what appears to be an all-out witch-hunt against news media that are covering events in Egypt and is very concerned for all the journalists currently in Cairo, especially on the eve of a major demonstration planned by President Hosni Mubarak’s opponents for tomorrow, which they are describing as the deadline for his departure.“Theft, violence, arbitrary arrests and extreme violence… the list of abuses against journalists by President Mubarak’s supporters is getting longer by the hour and they are clearly systematic and concerted,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Jean-François Julliard said.“After shutting down the Internet and then reconnecting it at the start of this week, the regime has decided to target media personnel physically by unleashing its supporters in an unprecedented campaign of hatred and violence. This has gone beyond censorship. This is now about ridding Cairo of all journalists working for foreign news media.“We urge all news media to reinforce their coordination in order to provide as much security as possible for their correspondents in Egypt. And we urge foreign governments and their embassies to provide the utmost diplomatic support for journalists from their countries when they find themselves in difficulty.”Julliard added: “It seems that journalists are no longer safe anywhere in Cairo. Several news bureaux have also been attacked. The highest level of the Egyptian government must be held responsible for this policy of physical attacks. We urge the international community to adopt a strong unanimous position quickly, to draw the appropriate conclusions from the events of the past few days and to consider sanctions.” Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution January 22, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Sinclair makes Villa move permanent

first_img ” It was important for the family to have that stability and I’m thrilled it’s with a club like Villa. “This is the happiest I have been in a long time. Now it’s about kicking on with my career in claret and blue. “I have already loved every minute of playing for this club. To be a permanent Villa player now is a fantastic feeling.” The former Swansea player, who has scored three goals for the FA Cup finalists since his arrival at Villa Park, added: “I feel I made a good start when I joined on loan and it’s just a shame that I got injured. “Obviously I got fit again but the team has been doing well and I’ve, rightly, had to bide my time. “My aim now in the closing two weeks is giving 100 per cent in training and waiting for my next chance.” Aston Villa winger Scott Sinclair is looking forward to next season after completing his move from Barclays Premier League rivals Manchester City. The 26-year-old is committed to the club for the next four years after initially signing on loan for the rest of the current campaign. He told Villa’s official website: ” We’ve had a fantastic end to the current season – and now I am already looking forward to the new season starting. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Let’s Make a Deal Leafs continue to shake tree for players

first_imgHe was named the game’s third star in a 44-shot game.“I believe this is a win-win for everybody involved,” Maida explained. “Golden kept calling and wanted Cody. Golden is a good team, and Cody’s happy to be going home and playing there. And we get Marcus who wanted to come to Nelson.”The recent deals complete a barrage of changes on the Leafs of late.It started during the Christmas break when Grand Forks forward Connor Gross was moved to the Green and White.Before Gross stepped onto the ice Jacob Boyczuk was dealt to Revelstoke.Maida didn’t say he was done dealing prior to Thursday’s January 10 roster deadline.“I’ve got nothing to report right now but I’m working on a few things,” he confessed. “We’ll see what happens by next week.”Maida said Beesley would be in the lineup when Nelson opens the weekend in Fernie.The Leafs are still coming to grips with the 7-5 New Year’s Day debacle that saw the team waste periods leads of 3-0 and 4-2 and allowing five third period goals.“I think it’s a good time to go on the road and focus on hockey with no distractions . . . focus getting back to playing our game,” he said.“We need to use out speed and move the puck and play system hockey.”“Ya, we’ve lost a couple which is new to us, but there a lot of hockey in the season left to correct that,” Maida added.LEAF NOTES: Nelson enters the weekend leading Beaver Valley and Castlegar by four points in Murdoch standings. . . .Defenceman Blake Arcuri remains day-to-day after suffering a concussion in Spokane (December 29). Defenceman Cam Weir, also injured in Spokane should be back in the lineup this weekend. . . .Matthew Naka, who suffered lower body injury, remains out indefinitely. . . .Kootenay Ice affiliate player Brandon Sookro has played seven games for Nelson this season. However, the South Slocan native will be unvailable until the B.C. Major Midget season ends in February. . . .After finishing November with a 10-0-0-1 record Nelson completed December at 4-3-1 mark. Two of those defeats came against Murdoch rivals Castlegar (6-1) and Beaver Valley. In the last four games Nelson is 1-2-1. Leaf coach Frank Maida won’t say three third-period goals allowed in just over a minute during the New Year’s Day clash against Beaver Valley was the deciding factor, but it had to play a lot into the psyche of Nelson skipper heading into the final 16 games of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League season.Which is why the Leafs will welcome former netminder Marcus Beesley to the team in a cash deal completed Wednesday with the Kamloops Storm.To make room for the Prince George native, Maida sent goalie Cody Boeckman back to his home town of Golden to finish the season with the Rockets.“Marcus is a 20-year-old who going to bring us some experience . . . he been in the league for three years and spent some time in Junior A and we felt we needed some experience in goal,” Maida told The Nelson Daily Thursday.Maida made the two deals on the eve of a tough two-game weekend that sees Nelson visit two KIJHL heavyweights — Friday, the Fernie Ghostriders and Sunday, division rival Castlegar Rebels.“Both our goaltenders, Cody (Boeckman) and Brett (Soles) have played well but an opportunity came up for Cody to go back to Golden and that gave us the opportunity to look elsewhere and we came up with Marcus Beesley,” Maida added.Beesley got his junior career start with Nelson in 2010 with Leafs coach Chris Shaw.Last season he had a brief stint in B.C. Hockey League before finding a home in Kamloops with the Storm.This season the 6’ 165-pound netminder has a 3.35 average in 31 games with fourth-place Kamloops.Beesley had an impressive showing when the Storm played in Nelson at the end of October, robbing several of the Leafs in a 4-2 loss.last_img read more

CLWA eyes cleanup funding

first_imgSANTA CLARITA – The Castaic Lake Water Agency is mapping its federal and state lobbying strategy for coming year, including designs on at least $13 million from Washington, D.C., for local groundwater decontamination. A top priority for the agency managing the Santa Clarita Valley’s state water allocation is to convince lawmakers to provide funds to remove perchlorate from defunct defense operations that have tainted local sources, according a Jan. 12 year-end report from federal lobbyist Anchor Consulting LLC. Possible funding sources include: $3 million from the 2007 Energy and Water Appropriations Act and $10 million from the 2007 Defense Appropriations Act, which has an account for environmental remediation. The agency also is angling for $1.5 million from the 2007 Interior Appropriations Act for its wastewater treatment program. The agency spent $224,816 in the 2004-05 fiscal year on legislative planning and lobbying. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita “This is why you have a lobbyist,” said William Pecsi, president of CLWA’s board of directors, said Monday. “They’re familiar with the sources of funding that could be applied. You have to craft the issue in order to make a connection with the legislators to have them support the effort.” CLWA has an estimated $15.3 million two-step program to filter for perchlorate and drill three replacement wells expected to begin this year. The chemical, which according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency could interfere with thyroid function in large doses, has seeped into local aquifers through the former Whittaker-Bermite property along Soledad Canyon Road. Besides federal funds, the agency also is expecting money coming from an settlement with former Bermite property owner Remedial Financial Inc. The Phoenix-based developer recently resolved its chapter 11 bankruptcy in court. “Hopefully, we’re going to make a lot of headway with regards to the perchlorate cleanup,” Pecsi said. “That has been a major focus for the agency. We’re hoping to make major strides in terms of a system for cleanup in the coming year.” In Sacramento, CLWA lobbyists are monitoring how various state infrastructure bond proposals – including the $50 million bond measure floated by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger – could could affect local water projects. “The difficult task is to clearly define our infrastructure needs amongst the various competing demands and set a realistic dollar amount acceptable to the public on the November 2006 general election ballot,” according to a Jan. 3 California Advocates, Inc. memo to the CLWA. Other proposals range from a $3.5 billion bond measure for safe drinking water and a $1 billion bond to fund regional water management plans, flood control and surface storage studies. “It’s a review of the water bonds to see which is in the best interest for Castaic,” Pecsi said. Eugene Tong, (661) 257-5253 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Boston Celtics to retire Paul Pierce’s No. 34

first_imgWATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village Pierce was drafted by Boston in 1998 and played 15 seasons for the Celtics. Only John Havlicek played longer in a Celtics uniform. Pierce helped the team win its NBA-record 17th title in 2008 and was named the finals MVP.Pierce is the franchise leader in three-point field goals, free throws and steals and is the Celtics’ No. 2 career scorer with 24,021 points. His number has already been retired by the University of Kansas.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout View comments Giannis Antetokounmpo powers Bucks in bounce back win over Celtics PLAY LIST 02:29Giannis Antetokounmpo powers Bucks in bounce back win over Celtics01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension MOST READ Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago China’s Guo Ailun becomes 1st international athlete to have signature Jordan shoe LATEST STORIES Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FILE – In this March 8, 2013, file photo, Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce (34) reacts in overtime during the team’s NBA basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks in Boston. The Celtics will retire Pierce’s No. 34 during their Feb. 11 game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The longtime Celtics forward will be the 22nd player so honored–the first since 2003. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer, File)BOSTON — The Boston Celtics will retire Paul Pierce’s No. 34 during their Feb. 11 game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.The longtime Celtics forward will be the 22nd player so honored — the first since 2003.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Saina Nehwal survives scare, enters World Championships quarters

first_imgSaina Nehwal defeated Japanese 13th seed Sayaka Takahashi 14-21, 21-18, 21-12Saina Nehwal survived a scare to eventually make her way into the women’s singles quarter-finals of the World Badminton Championships at the Ballerup Super Arena here Thursday.Japanese 13th seed Sayaka Takahashi gave a tough fight to the Indian seventh seed and was almost on her way to the last eight before Saina found her legs just in time to recover from a game down and win the three-game one hour five-minute marathon third round match 14-21, 21-18, 21-12.Sayaka looked in sublime touch as she easily clinched the first game, leading right from the start. World No.7 Saina looked down and out trailing 8-13 in the second but slowly started getting back into rhythm when the reality of being ousted from the tournament hit her.The 24-year-old finally levelled the game at 18-all and held on to the next three points to push the match into the decider.It was quite equal till 7-all in the third game after which the Olympic bronze medallist found the right footing and form to crush her opponent in a matter of minutes and take a 2-0 lead in career meetings over the Japanese.Saina will be up against World No.1 and top seed Li Xuerui of China next and the reigning Olympic champion has a 7-2 career advantage over the Hyderbadi.Saina’s compatriots P.V. Sindhu (women’s singles), Kidambi Srikanth (men’s singles) and the men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and B. Sumeeth Reddy will play their respective matches later in the day.advertisementlast_img read more

10 months agoDe Laurentiis: Chelsea manager Sarri shirked Napoli transfer responsibility

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say De Laurentiis: Chelsea manager Sarri shirked Napoli transfer responsibilityby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted that he struggled to get the input of Maurizio Sarri on transfers.De Laurentiis has claimed that Sarri preferred to worry about coaching and improving his players.And it was tough for the owner to sit down with Sarri and figure out the ideal players to buy in transfer windows.”Sarri seemed timid and I discovered he was so dissatisfied with his past [working in finance],” he said during a panel run by Corriere di Mezzogiorno.”For a Communist to base his profession on the evils of money brought him to suffer from a syndrome of dissatisfaction. “I found Sarri to be very highly-strung. His wife couldn’t even come to the stadium. “I used to say to Sarri, who shall we buy? He’d reply that he didn’t want to know anything about it.” last_img read more

Youth dies of injuries in Srinagar hospital restrictions reimposed in parts of

first_imgSrinagar: A Kashmiri youth who was injured during protests last month died at a Srinagar hospital in the early hours of Wednesday, prompting authorities to reimpose restrictions in parts of the city, officials said. Asrar Ahmed Khan was part of a mob holding protests in Soura on August 6, a day after the Centre revoked Jammu and Kashmir’s special status and announced its bifurcation into two union territories, they said. Restrictions were reimposed Downtown Srinagar and parts of the Civil Lines area as a precautionary measure. Khan, who was admitted to the Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) in Soura, died shortly after midnight on Wednesday, officials said. “He did not have any bullet injuries,” a top police official said.last_img


first_imgAdvertisement Robyn-Lee Jansen Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook While she didn’t know the photographer personally prior to the shoot, Jansen said he “had been vouched for” by a few other models and had “assured” her the shoot was safe.The photographer also told Jansen he “had never had a problem with fire shoots in the past.”The shoot started fine, but things took a turn for the worse when it came time to incorporate the fire element.“The photographer seemed rushed, and his family had called multiple times, as we were running a little late,” said Jansen. “He proceeded to work with fire behind me, and then yelled, ‘stand still, this part gets tricky.’”Jansen said that before she even had a chance to ask for any further explanation, “he squirted a bottle of liquid paraffin oil while standing closer to me.”The next thing Jansen knew, “I was up in flames.”She immediately managed to “drop duck and roll into a puddle and get the flames out,” but the damage was already done.Then, the photographer insisted he drive Jansen – who was in shock at this point – to the hospital himself. “In a panic, he made me wait until he was finished packing up all of his camera equipment before he would take me,” she said.Jansen said she has been left with second degree burns over 25% of her legs and first-degree burns on her anterior legs, hip, back, and right arm, as a result of the incident.Asked about a recovery timeline, Jansen told Daily Hive that doctors have given her two weeks to heal, and “if I am not almost fully healed by then, I will have to undergo skin grafts.”Following this, “if I can get into surgery right away that would be another three to four weeks.”But that estimate, she added, “doesn’t include the time it will take for the scarring and skin pigment to normalize.”Although there are no infections and doctors have told her she is healing well, Jansen said she’s been informed that “any healing done on my own after three weeks leaves an 80% chance of scarring.”The incident has also left Jansen currently unable to walk, “let alone go about my job as a model with all my wounds and extreme pain.”As a result, she has had to cancel all her paid jobs for the next “two to three months.” In addition, she said, “there is still the issue of severe scarring. All of these things will hinder my ability to model.”A warning to other modelsReflecting on the “horrible and horrific” incident, Jansen said she believes the whole situation “was caused due to negligence and recklessness on the photographer’s behalf.”She hopes that by sharing her story other models will learn from her experience, and properly vouch for their own safety prior to any photoshoot.“I know a lot of younger models are very trusting, and slow to voice their opinion,” she said. “I would like all models to be more demanding and assertive.”If the photographer – or brand – “really values” the model they’re working with, “they will happily run through all tricky situations before hand so you are sure and confident of what you are doing.”And if they don’t seem like they are willing to negotiate – or  threaten to find another model – “then that’s a red flag.”“Don’t trust other people’s words when going into a risky shoot,” she said. “Demand that there be safety procedures in place.”If the photographers can’t provide or guarantee this, she said, “then just don’t do it. It’s not worth your time and safety.”It’s a lesson Jansen had to learn the hard way, but one she says she’ll never forget.“Never again will I accept anything where I could possibly be injured again, no matter how safe the photographer says it is, or how many other models he has worked with,” she said.GoFund Me campaign createdWhile she continues to recover one day at a time, a GoFundMe page has now been created to assist Jansen with financial issues surrounding the whole situation.Seeking legal help, paying her bills, recuperating lost wages, and dealing with extra medical expenses not covered “is going to be tough especially as an international student,” she said.Robyn-Lee JansenWhile she “doesn’t usually like to ask for help,” Jansen said anything is appreciated during this “distressing” time. “I am away from all my friends and family, and my boyfriend has taken off work to take care of me.”Financial assistance “would really help go a long way for the next few months of care and recovery,” she said. “It will be a long road to recovery and I am hoping long term I won’t be left with too much scarring.”By Eric Zimmer ~ DailyHivecenter_img Story contains images some may find graphic. Discretion is advised.After what she says was one of the “one of the most traumatic and terrifying moments” of her life, a 22-year-old international student and freelance model living in Vancouver is recovering  in hospital from severe burns all over her body, after a recent photoshoot gone wrong.On June 13, Robyn-Lee Jansen responded to a freelance modelling job, “where the photographer wanted to work with fire – behind me from a distance – in order to create some awesome shots.” Advertisement Advertisement Twitterlast_img read more

HBC RioCan joint venture explores sale of downtown Vancouver property

first_imgTORONTO – A joint venture between Hudson’s Bay Co. and RioCan Real Estate Investment trust says it may sell its downtown Vancouver property.RioCan-HBC JV says in a statement that it’s engaged with CBRE and Brookfield Financial Real Estate Group to explore a sale.The Granville Street property is currently occupied by a Hudson’s Bay department store, which has a long-term lease.Interim CEO Richard Baker says any sale would include the continued operation of the store.The joint venture also says it expects to close on a $200-million mortgage on the property and the proceeds will be distributed proportionally to its partners.The joint venture owns or controls 10 flagship properties in Canada.last_img