The countdown has begun for another straight year to Team Jamaica Bickle, (TJB), at the Penn Relays. The non-profit organization, founded by Jamaican immigrant, Irwine Clare, Dr., O.D., in 1994, is the leading organization in sports providing support services for Caribbean athletes who compete at the annual Penn Relays Carnival at the University of Pennsylvania.This year, the group is again hard at working raising much needed funds to provide ‘bickle,’ or food, transportation and other support to Caribbean high school athletes who are gearing up to make their mark at the longest running relay carnival.On Thursday, April 12th, the group kicked off its annual New York fundraising reception at Sandz at 234-32 Merrick Boulevard in Queens, New York.A national reception is set for April 27th at the University of Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia.TJB officials are this year running a limited raffle to raise money ahead of the event to cover their costs, which rise every year despite an army of volunteers. They are also getting some support this year from singer, Romain Virgo, who will donate part proceeds from his song, ‘Still,’ to assist athletes at the relay carnival this year. The annual Penn Relays, which draws thousands of Jamaicans to the sporting event, is set for April 26-28, 2018 in Philadelphia. To support TJB, log on to teamjamaicabickle.org.
NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – Health Minister in the Bahamas Dr. Duane Sands says diabetes mellitus is a devastating and costly non-communicable disease and is the fifth leading cause of death in The Bahamas.“The prevalence of diabetes increased from 6.7 per cent to 9.2 per cent in 2005, and has now reached epidemic proportions at 13.6 per cent in 2019. Our rate stands at 37.9 deaths per 100,000 persons due to diabetes,” Dr. Sands told delegates an international conference here over the weekend.The Bahamas Podiatric Medical Association, in conjunction with the Academy of Minimally Invasive Foot and Ankle Surgery is staging the second annual International Podiatry Conference.The Health Minister said that many people with uncontrolled diabetes experience foot and ankle ailments and complications and that every year, more than one million people with diabetes lose at least a part of their lower limb.“Globally, this means, a person is losing a lower limb every 20 seconds. This can be a source of added emotional suffering plus additional costs to the individual and the system that provides the necessary health care.”He said that prevention of foot ulcers is an important priority in Podiatric Medicine and for the diabetic patient. It is reported that 85 per cent of all amputations are preceded by an ulcer and can thus be prevented.“The chances of a person dying once they have contracted a diabetic foot ulcer or had an amputation jump by almost 50 per cent. This rate is much higher than for persons with prostate cancer, breast cancer and Hodgkin Lymphoma. With these statistics in mind, care for the diabetic patient is a team effort, and requires a multidisciplinary approach.”Dr. Sands said podiatry services were reinstated in the public sector one year ago. Since then, almost 700 patients were treated between the ages of three months to 98 years. Twenty-seven per cent of the patients seen, were diabetics.He added that of these diabetics, 60 per cent were treated for a diabetic foot with ingrown toenails and wounds, and 40 per cent had chronic venous ulcers.The Health Minister stated that there were 161 minor surgeries performed at the public clinics with the most common procedures performed being wound debridement and nail surgery.“Procedures that could not be carried out at the clinic were referred to the Accident and Emergency Department of the Princess Margaret Hospital. Over 20 referrals were made which included limb-threatening infections and other emergencies.”He explained that research has proven that well-trained podiatrists positively impact the lives of patients by saving limbs, promoting and maintaining mobility, limiting lower extremity amputations and reducing healthcare costs.“As true as this statement can be, the reality is, there is a severe shortage of podiatrists in the country. Currently, four podiatrists are being shared between the public and private sectors,” Dr. Sands, said, adding “you can just imagine how stressed these professionals were in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian after seeing so many presenting themselves with foot and lower extremity injuries”.“This presented a clear challenge to the healthcare system,” he added.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Chief Kristalina Georgieva the world has now entered a global recession due to the coronavirus, COVID-19.At a press conference, Georgieva gave an update on the global economic impacts and the virus and what the IMF will do to help.“It is clear that we have now entered a recession as bad or worse than in 2009”, she stated. “We do project recovery in 2021. In fact, there may be a sizeable rebound but only if we succeed in containing the virus everywhere and prevent liquidity problems from becoming a solvency issue.”Travel restrictions have been imposed worldwide, while businesses, shops and schools have closed down as part of efforts to stop the spread of the contagious virus. While governments around the world are doing what they can to keep their economies afloat, others have requested help from the IMF.More than 80 countries have already have requested emergency aid, Georgieva revealed. “Normally, we never have more than a handful of requests at the same time,” she added.However, Georgieva said she’s heartened to see global leaders finally realising only a coordinated effort will help stop the spread of the killer virus.“We have stated that the world is now in recession and that the length and depth of this recession depends on two things: Containing the virus and having an effective, coordinated response to the crisis,” she told CNBC.“I’m very encouraged by what I see now. I see much clearer understanding (among global leaders) that if we don’t beat it everywhere we won’t be able to get out of it,” she added.“We’ve never seen the world economy standing still. Now we (do). How we go about revitalising it is another important topic.” But she warned against stepping away from containment efforts too soon, adding, “There is no way to come to a strong recovery without strong containment.”
The 2017/18 NBA regular season tipsoff on Tuesday, 17 October 2017 and ends 11 April 2018 with the playoffs scheduled to begin 14 April 2018.The season gets underway when 2017 runners-up Cleveland Cavaliers host a game against the Boston Celtics at Quickens Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.The game a rematch of the Eastern Conference finals has an even more interesting twist to it, Kyrie Irving now of the books of Boston facing a team he only departed in August as he was swapped for Jae Crowder, Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic and a first-round draft pick.The build-up to the exciting contest has seen Cleveland Coach Tyronn Lue adding his voice to the eagerly anticipated game against the Boston Celtic, equally giving an injury update as par star player LeBron James who has played in just one of five preseason games for the Cavs’ after spraining his ankle on the second day of camp.“It’s one game,” Lue said after practice Sunday, scoffing at a reporter’s questioning if the Cavs geared up for the Celtics throughout their entire training camp. “I know both teams want to see each other, but at the end of the day, you don’t win a championship by winning or losing the first game. So they’re up for the game, they’re ready for it, but that’s not our main focus is playing Boston.“He went through probably one-fourth of the practice,” Lue said. “Some plays, teaching stuff, some just 5-on-0 offensive stuff, getting up and down the floor. He went through that stuff today, and he went and got cardio in the weight room,” Lue revealed to ESPN reporters.Markelle Fultz was the top draft pick, picked by Philadelphia 76ers ahead of the season. Golden State Warriors start the season as defending champions and will face a tough battle ahead of a long, demanding and competitive season to retain their title.A few of the African star players to watch out for includes; Serge Ibaka of Toronto Raptors, Giannis Antetokounmpo of Milwaukee Bucks, Joel Embiid of Philadelphia 76ers, Al-Farouq Aminu of Portland Trail Blazers, Thabo Sefolosha of Utah Jazz, Clint Capela of Houston Rockets and Victor Oladipo of Indiana Pacers.Below is a list of the 30 teams who are drawn apiece into the Eastern and Western Conferences.Eastern Conference: Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heats, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Nicks, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards.Western Conference: Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and Utah Jazz.Related
The Le Classique between hosts Olympique Marseille and PSG lived up to expectations as it had everything from goals to yellow cards to sending off.The major talking point of the league game turned out to be the sending off of the world’s most expensive footballer Neymar after two yellow cards in two minutes with his side trailing 2-1 with three minutes left.Brazilian star had earlier scored in the first half to cancel out Luiz Gustavo’s 30-yard opener but former Newcastle United forward Florian Thauvin helped Marseille retake the lead before Edinson Cavani spared Neymar’s blushes with a last minute freekick for 10-man PSG.The draw was enough for Unai Emery’s men to extend their lead to four points at the top of the French Ligue 1 table with 26 points from 10 games while Marseille stay in 5th position with 18 points.Former Manchester United star Memphis Depay scored a hattrick as he led his Olympique Lyonshall side to a 5-0 win over hosts Troyes in the second of the three games played on Sunday while Nice and their manager Lucien Favre were handed a surprising 2-1 home defeat by Racing Strasbourg. Matchday 10 Results (Sunday):Troyes 0-5 Olympique LyonOlympique Marseille 2-2 PSGNice 1-2 StrasbourgRelated
Submit StumbleUpon Unibet backs #GoRacingGreen as lead racing charity July 28, 2020 Share Related Articles UK Racing pushes for drastic levy reforms as deep recession looms August 25, 2020 Share Racing DiRSG launches LGBT+ awareness module for PRIDE June 25, 2020 The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has committed itself to a funding round of £1m in a bid to prevent gene doping in the sport, after experts have warned that it could present the “dawn of a new era.”The funding, which is expected to cover a five-year programme, will help develop detection methods to prevent gene doping. The detection methods would be monitored at scientific advisory group LGC’s laboratory in Newmarket.The decision comes as global racing federations have identified that gene doping could pose a significant threat to the sport, with doping methods ranging from cloning to the delivery of an EPO hormone gene, raising serious integrity and welfare concerns.David Sykes, the BHA’s director of equine health and welfare, has already taken a stand against gene doping through his position on the Gene Doping Control Subcommittee of the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities.Dr James Scarth, LGC’s head of animal sports testing, told the Partnership for Clean Competition conference in London: “Something we are just getting into, in the same way as human sports, is gene doping. We’ve been talking about this for a long time, I know the industry has. But we are now seeing the dawning of a new era.”Scarth continued: “There were these animals that had really severe ligament and tendon injuries and were given vascular endothelial growth factor and fibroblast growth factor and they completely healed. We are acutely aware of what impact this could have.”A series of ethical concerns have been raised over gene doping in horse racing over the years. The new BHA-funded research will therefore set out the most effective ways of tackling doping and ensure that integrity is upheld in the sport.
Irish political parties push for gambling reform January 29, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Irish Government proposes new maximum stake and payout limits for gaming machines November 27, 2019 Submit Paddy Power: Sinn Féin surge sees coalition uncertainty February 13, 2020 Share Share Ireland’s temporary legislation for the betting and gaming industry, the Gaming and Lotteries Bill 2019, has been given the green light to advance to the committee stage in the Dáil Éireann.The legislation seeks to enforce an age restriction of 18 years old on all betting and gaming products across Ireland, as well as limit gaming machine stakes and prizes at €10 and €750 respectively.The bill has undergone a second reading in the Dáil earlier this week, with TD’s submitting a motion to pass the legislation onto the country’s Select Committee on Justice and Equality proposed and accepted. With the hope of developing an enhanced licensing system for the country’s lottery, the legislation has already received the go ahead from the Seanad Éireann, the upper house of the Irish Parliament (Oireachtas).“We believe there is a need for much more thorough control and regulation of gambling,” Fianna Fáil Deputy Jim O’Callaghan said. “Regrettably, the legislation before us deals only with very small aspects of the issues concerning gambling that are problematic in this country.”As discussed by Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe earlier this week, the Gambling Control Bill is currently facing scrutiny from policy makers, although it is not expected to face the Oireachtas before 2020 according to Minister of State, David Stanton. “One of the things I have discovered even during the course of this bill is that it is extremely complex to draft,” Stanton said. “It takes a long time. I was involved in the pre-legislative scrutiny phase through a committee at that time. Since then, things have changed again.”
Comtrade Gaming & Microsoft push industry innovation for EDIT Summer School program August 1, 2017 Dafabet continues legacy platform partnership with Comtrade Gaming June 13, 2018 StumbleUpon Aleš Gornjec – Comtrade Gaming – Understanding business & the regulation of sports bonusing June 28, 2017 Share Share Submit Related Articles Industry software and systems supplier Comtrade Gaming continues towards offering students further education on technology and innovation as part of its 23rd summer school programme, ‘Education for Innovative Thinkers – EDIT’.The education programme brings together graduates from across south-eastern Europe to deliver education and practical experience in the slots industry, with approximately 50 per cent of participants who complete the programme going on to work for Comtrade.Luka Arnečič, a mentor to a group of students in Maribor, explained: “This year’s EDIT summer school was once again very entertaining as it contained a mix of various social events, education and work.“Participants quickly exceeded our anticipations and because of that, we extended this year’s task to a more complex one. All in all, it was a great experience for both participants and mentors and hopefully it will encourage more young people for IT oriented studies and work.”Students were challenged to find a solution where an older slot machine would be upgraded with additional hardware and software to be able to connect and send data to the monitoring system. Participants were able to gain an understanding of the slot machines operations, graphical presentation of data and design of software interface.“Comtrade Gaming is expanding fast and we are constantly looking for innovative, thinking outside the box people who like working in teams. EDIT is a perfect hub to recognise young new talent and offer these bright minds an opportunity to start their career with us,” added Aleš Gornjec, General Manager of Comtrade Gaming.
Submit Camelot aims for ‘Big September’ supporting a high street recovery August 26, 2020 Share UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Share Related Articles Jenny Blogg – CamelotNational Lottery operator Camelot has revamped its ‘retailer hub’ (www.tnlretailerhub.co.uk) adding new functionalities and tools to improve communication with its merchants.The relaunched hub has been optimised for all mobile verticals, allowing Camelot point-of-sale merchants to be better informed with news alerts, game/draw information, terms and conditions, promotions and updates on further upcoming National Lottery inventory.The hub will feature a ‘multi-store retailer’ tool, which allows those operating multiple stores selling National Lottery products to be supported by centralised framework customising news and information for their retail networks.In addition, the hub will allow for the personalisation of both dashboards and notifications, while Camelot has also launched a new customer self-service tool allowing merchants to request retail National Lottery goods instantly.The relaunched hub has further improved merchant engagement and information on the National Lottery retail ‘Site, Stock, Sell rewards scheme’, which last year paid out over £725,000 to UK retailers.Camelot Retail Director Jenny Blogg said: “Our retailers are essential to our continued success. We’re always looking for ways to improve their overall experience with us. We hope they like the new retailer hub, which we’ve developed in response to their feedback, and benefit from its improved capabilities.” StumbleUpon National Lottery Community Fund issues £14m in Climate Action grants August 24, 2020
Share StumbleUpon Submit Related Articles Share Irish government passes amendment to Gaming and Lotteries Bill December 5, 2019 Irish gaming bill advances to the next stage June 21, 2019 Paschal Donohoe backs 2% betting levy despite Irish job concerns June 20, 2019 The Irish Government has proposed a €500 limit to maximum payouts on gaming terminals, down from the €750 put forward in March. The current limit of €5.00, which remains unchanged since 1956, has been described – according to a government spokesperson – as “archaic, unpractical, and unimplementable”.The Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has, therefore, outlined a number of changes to the bill which determines both the maximum payouts and maximum stakes for the machines, which is currently being reviewed by the Oireachtas.As well as the €5.00 cap on payouts, the Gaming and Lotteries Bill also currently limits the maximum stake for any game to a sum of 6 pence per player, or around 3 cent in modern currency. Flanagan has proposed a new maximum stake limit of €5, down from the €10 suggested in March.The minimum age to place a bet would also be increased from 16 to 18 under new proposals. The slight backdown comes as a number of lobby groups across Ireland had expressed that the previous proposals did not go far enough in tackling problem gambling, and that further measures were required. Earlier this year, a Northern Irish government department launched a public consultation on the creation of a new gambling policy and the effects of problem gambling.The public consultation will help gain an insight into the policies needed to combat problem gambling in the country. Operators across Northern Ireland have already voluntarily agreed to implement the £2 maximum stakes on fixed-odds betting terminals (FOBTs).