TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say De Laurentiis: Chelsea manager Sarri shirked Napoli transfer responsibilityby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted that he struggled to get the input of Maurizio Sarri on transfers.De Laurentiis has claimed that Sarri preferred to worry about coaching and improving his players.And it was tough for the owner to sit down with Sarri and figure out the ideal players to buy in transfer windows.”Sarri seemed timid and I discovered he was so dissatisfied with his past [working in finance],” he said during a panel run by Corriere di Mezzogiorno.”For a Communist to base his profession on the evils of money brought him to suffer from a syndrome of dissatisfaction. “I found Sarri to be very highly-strung. His wife couldn’t even come to the stadium. “I used to say to Sarri, who shall we buy? He’d reply that he didn’t want to know anything about it.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Solskjaer: Man Utd players have clean slate – to a pointby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says the players have a clean slate – to a point.Predecessor Jose Mourinho fell out with the likes of Alexis Sanchez and Paul Pogba, but Solskjaer says he is prepared to take a fresh look at every player.He told MUTV in his first interview: “Playing games is the best time of your life!”The more games you get, the better it is. For me as a manager now it’s great because you have to rotate, so you’ll get to see many players; they’ll get that chance and everyone in”Everybody in the squad knows ‘I’ve got a chance now’ because whatever’s gone, whatever’s happened has happened.”Now it’s just about from here everybody starts with a clean slate and we want players to perform and to give them a chance.”Asked whether that meant everybody in the squad had a ‘blank piece of paper’ going forward, Solskjaer said: “Well you’ve got to start somewhere.”Of course you look at a couple of performances I’ve seen the last few games, but you look at the merits, you look at the team, you pick a team now and you move on; they’ll all get chances.”
Man City defender Aymeric Laporte: Don’t punish me for Spain talkby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City defender Aymeric Laporte insists he doesn’t deserve punishment for flirting with Spain.Laporte, while qualifying for La Roja, has committed his international future to France.”Spain? It was a story that goes back … years ago! Everyone has the right to speak and to make mistakes too. We all know that everyone has frustrations, in football as in everyday life. That’s not why you have to kill someone for that,” he said. “These are really small details that people want to come out with when it does not matter. It is not the player that you hurt, it is especially the entourage who is influenced.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
She has been criticized. She has been questioned. She has been compared unfavorably to her predecessors. But on Tuesday night, Alyssa Naeher became a U.S. women’s national team hero. The U.S. goalkeeper made a massive fingertip save in the first half to deny a long-range strike from Keira Walsh in what was her best moment of the World Cup thus far. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare But Naeher most certainly saved her best for last. The USWNT and Naeher had been saved once by VAR, the video assistant having ruled out an Ellen White goal that seemed to be the leveler. But VAR then awarded England a penalty with just five minutes remaining in the World Cup semifinal in Lyon, handing the Lionesses a chance to tie the game from the spot as the USWNT clung to a 2-1 lead. It was a moment the U.S. needed their goalkeeper to step up, and Naeher certainly obliged. Naeher produced a sprawling save to her right to deny Steph Houghton, coming up with the moment she’s been hoping for the entire World Cup. “I don’t really remember to be honest,” Naeher said of her save. “I just tried to let instincts take over at that point and just try to get a good jump on it, get a good read and hope to make a save.”The U.S. would hold on to win 2-1, advancing to the World Cup final for the third consecutive tournament. “There’s no words I can give you to let you know how proud I personally am of Alyssa and how proud our entire team is,” Christen Press said. “It was so epic.”For Naeher, it was vindication in the biggest possible way. She’s been constantly questioned in her first major tournament as the team’s starter, as she takes over from Hope Solo as the USWNT No. 1. All along, Naeher has stayed even-keeled, trying to avoid getting caught up in comparisons.”I’ve said from the beginning that I just try to be me,” Naeher said. “My goal every day is being a better person and a better player than I was yesterday.”To me it’s not about comparisons, it’s about how I can help this team win here in 2019.”Naeher has had some questionable moments to be sure. Against Chile in the group stage, she whiffed on a through ball that went straight past her into the goal, only for the offside flag to save her. Then against Spain in the last 16, Naeher was partially at fault on Spain’s opener, as she played Becky Sauerbrunn the ball in a tight spot before the defender lost possession and watched Jenni Hermoso find the back of the net. Throughout it all, Naeher has kept her cool as her teammates and coach Jill Ellis have continued to back her, insisting she would come through for them.On the biggest stage and on the biggest moment, that’s exactly what Naeher did.”She’s making her own mark and creating her own legacy,” Ellis said after the game, “and that’s fantastic.”The USWNT goalkeeper may not be Briana Scurry and she may not be Hope Solo. But she is Alyssa Naeher. On Tuesday night, that’s all she needed to be.
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has admitted that he is not sure if Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will feature in next week’s Premier League clash with Burnley.The pair were victims of an attempted armed robbery outside Kolasinac’s house two weeks ago, with the left-back fighting off the attackers while Ozil was chased in his car.After being given some time off, they played in Arsenal’s final pre-season fixture against Barcelona – a 2-1 defeat in the Joan Gamper Trophy. Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? However, Arsenal announced on Friday that “further security incidents” had taken place that were under investigation by the police, and two arrests have been made outside Ozil’s house.A statement from the Metropolitan Police said: “Two men have been charged under Section 4a of the Public Order Act following an incident in Camden on Thursday, 8 August.”Ferhat Ercan, 27, of Highgate, and Salaman Ekinci, 27, of Tottenham, were charged on August 9 following the incident and are due to appear at Highbury Corner magistrates’ court on 6 September.”As a result, neither player travelled to Newcastle for Arsenal’s 1-0 opening-day win at St. James’ Park in which Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang grabbed the three points for the Gunners after converting Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ cross in the second half.And Gunners boss Emery has suggested that the two players may not play next week either, when Arsenal host Burnley at the Emirates Stadium.“The club is managing that circumstance [the safety of Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac],” Emery told Arsenal’s official website.“We want to be with them as soon as possible and with normality in training and normality to be ready to play. I don’t know now [if they will play next week].”In their absence, Nacho Monreal will continue at left-back, with summer signing Kieran Tierney still recovering from a hernia operation after arriving from Celtic, while youngster Joe Willock and on-loan midfielder Dani Ceballos will endeavour to fill in for Ozil.The good news for the Gunners is that the club will be able to rely on Aubameyang to carry the load up front, with the forward having posted the best shot-conversion rate in the Premier League since his debut in the league in February 2018.
Marseille coach Andre Villas-Boas believes Neymar’s move to PSG has seen him stumble in his quest to potentially succeed Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as the world’s best footballer. In total, Neymar has managed 51 goals in 58 games for PSG – who opened their latest title defence with a 3-0 win over Nimes without the 27-year-old.But the Brazilian’s time with the club has been impacted by injury and, more recently, transfer speculation which has seen both Barcelona and Real Madrid circle for him . Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? While Neymar’s future is far from clear, Villas-Boas claims his move to PSG has seen the attacker fail to build upon the promise he showed while at Camp Nou. “He is an important player in the world of football. For me, it was the player who could succeed Ronaldo and Messi for the Ballon d’Or. But he did not recover all the qualities he had shown in Barcelona,” Villas-Boas said. Despite that claim, the Marseille coach conceded Neymar’s potential departure from France would leave a big hole to fill. “For Ligue 1, it’s not good if he leaves,” Villas-Boas said.”This type of player has an important image in football, a bit like when Ronaldinho was here in Paris.”There’s this attractiveness, the football world wants to watch these kinds of players. I don’t know what’s going to happen, I can’t comment on the separation because I’m not the PSG coach.”As it stands, Barca have finally opened face-to-face negotiations with PSG over a move for Neymar, though a potential deal still appears to be some way off. While the Catalans are willing to offer Philippe Coutinho and Ivan Rakitic as part of the transfer, the Parisians are reportedly keen on getting Nelson Semedo. With the tug of war over Neymar ongoing, the player himself has been left sidelined with PSG fans turning on their star player during the club’s season opener . Though fan sentiment has taken a turn, PSG coach Thomas Tuchel has stressed Neymar remains crucial to his cause. “He was very decisive for us. If we lose Neymar, maybe I will not sleep,” Tuchel said on French TV show Canal Football Club . “Because it would be hard to lose him and find another player who can do the same things for us. Maybe no news is good news.“It’s hard not knowing. Because I want him at home. But we have to find solutions without him too.”
LINCOLN, NE – OCTOBER 22: Safety Nathan Gerry #25 of the Nebraska Cornhuskers and offensive lineman Dylan Utter #66 run on the field before the game against the Purdue Boilermakers at Memorial Stadium on October 22, 2016 in Lincoln, Nebraska. (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)Nebraska’s 2018 season opener was cancelled last weekend because of inclement weather. The Huskers will instead kick off their season this weekend.Last week’s cancellation leaves Nebraska with a hole in its schedule. The Huskers only have 11 regular season games on the docket.The school is still looking to fill the void, and AD Bill Moos provided an update on the process.As of now, if Nebraska adds another game, it will either be against a new opponent on Oct. 27, which is the team’s bye week, or against Akron on Dec. 1.Moos said Nebraska is looking at Oct. 27 options and has a “loose end” that could be Akron Dec. 1— Sam McKewon (@swmckewonOWH) September 5, 2018Of course, the Big Ten Championship Game is scheduled for Dec. 1. The Huskers would surely rather play in that contest than against Akron.Nebraska’s first game of the 2018 season and the Scott Frost Era will be this Saturday at home against Colorado. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. ET.The game will be broadcast on ABC.
Twitter/@TheSpunSaturday, there are two major college football games that fans will be keeping an eye on when it comes to the College Football Playoff race. The first is an early rivalry contest between Texas and Oklahoma. The other is a night game between Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. Mark May is calling for a major upset in one of them.May, who worked at ESPN for years as a college football analyst, believes that Virginia Tech, at home, will eke out a win over the undefeated Irish. He’s calling for a 31-30 win for the Hokies. He also tagged his former colleague Lou Holtz to rub it in.Notre Dame, at the moment, is favored by 6.5 points. The Fighting Irish have looked very good so far this year.There are many who believe that Virginia Tech is Notre Dame’s toughest opponent left on the schedule. The Fighting Irish still have Pittsburgh, Navy, Northwestern, Florida State, Syracuse and USC.Notre Dame is coming off of a dominant win over Stanford – one of its main rivals.Mark it down, Notre Dame loses 31-30 today. @CoachLouHoltz88 @kevinctrimble @TheCrowdsLine— Mark May (@mark_may) October 6, 2018Notre Dame is currently ranked No. 6 in the country – but if the Irish were to run the table, there’s no doubt they’d be included in the College Football Playoff.Notre Dame vs. Virginia Tech kicks off at 8:00 PM ET. You can catch the game on ABC.
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – DECEMBER 02: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks on as they play the Wisconsin Badgers during the second half of the the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Ohio State is a team that wants to run the ball. Michigan State is a team that’s adept at stopping the run. When the two teams play each other on Saturday, something’s got to give.Ahead of the Ohio State-Michigan State game, Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer announced that there could be some big changes would be coming to the lineup.Namely, Safety Brendon White is increasingly likely to get the start in the game.White had a breakout performance this past week against Nebraska, recording an impressive 13 tackles and 2.0 tackles for loss.Urban Meyer said the decision on whether Brendon White will start will come “in the next couple of days.”“He’s certainly going to play,” Meyer said. “He’s earned that right.”— Eleven Warriors (@11W) November 5, 2018The Buckeyes went on to win the game 36-31.As for the prospect of facing the Spartans and their top-ranked rushing defense, Meyer assured reporters that he would adjust his scheme to account for it.Will what worked for Ohio State’s running game against Nebraska be sustainable against Michigan State’s No. 1-ranked rushing defense?Urban Meyer: “It has to be,” but he said the scheme will change this week because Michigan State’s defensive scheme is completely different.— Dan Hope (@Dan_Hope) November 5, 2018Ohio State have won back-to-back games against the Michigan State, but the games have often been close.Four of the last seven games between Ohio State and Michigan State have been decided by three points or less.
NORMAN, OK – NOVEMBER 25: A general view of the stadium during the West Virginia Mountaineers vs. the Oklahoma Sooners game at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Norman, Oklahoma. Oklahoma defeated West Virginia 59-31. (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)Buford (Ga.) three-star cornerback Jalen Huff is back on the market. The 2020 recruit announced his decommitment from Oklahoma this evening.Huff originally committed to Oklahoma in November. However, his main recruiter Kerry Cooks left the Sooners for a staff role at Texas Tech in January, and it looks like that was a major reason he reopened his recruitment tonight.“Due to recent staff changes this decision has been put into consideration many times,” Huff wrote on Twitter. “This was not at all an easy decision to make. With that being said after much consideration and talking with my family in regards to what’s best for my future I would like to announce that I’ve decided to de-commit from the University of Oklahoma and re-open my recruitment.”The creator makes no mistakes ☝🏽 @Jujuogun pic.twitter.com/VuTl3vSEM4— Jalen “Smooth” Huff ⅟ (@JalenHuffDB) March 19, 2019The 6-foot, 170-pound Huff is the 45th-ranked cornerback in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings. He owns over two dozen scholarship offers.Huff recently unofficially visited Georgia Tech, and the Yellow Jackets have been trending for him in his 247Sports Crystal Ball.For an updated look at Oklahoma’s 2020 recruiting class, click here.The national team composite rankings from 247Sports can be found here.