Deputy Padraig Mac LochlainnSinn Féin Spokesperson on Justice and Equality Pádraig MacLochlainn has welcomed the findings of the independent review group’s report into the Department of Justice and Equality.The report has found the department had significant leadership and management problems and recommends a programme for organisational and cultural change and renewal. It said a culture of secrecy exists in the DepartmentThe Donegal TD said that the Government cannot shirk their responsibility for the serious failings in the Department. Deputy MacLochlainn said: “The findings of this report highlight what we already knew about the ‘closed, secretive and silo driven culture’ within the Department of Justice and Equality.“However, we also know that the political management of the Department by those who were democratically elected by the people was an absolute shambles. This is shown by the startling revelation that former Justice Minister Alan Shatter, who was in office for over three years, didn’t once meet with the Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate Bob Olson.“The report unfortunately doesn’t clarify what happened on the now infamous night where the then General Secretary Brian Purcell was dispatched by his political masters to the house of former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan which clearly led to his resignation the next morning.“So what we have had since then is a situation where the Minister himself and the Secretary General have had to move aside. We need the Taoiseach to urgently clarify what the message delivered was that night. We want answers. “The confidence within the Department has been eroded and this has had a knock on effect on the delivery of policing and justice in this state.“This report shows that there is a need for a new approach to the administration of policing and justice across the island.“What has been uncovered amounts to very deep-rooted and systemic deficiencies within senior levels of An Garda Síochána and other institutions of the state.“In May of this year, Sinn Féin published our policy document ‘A New Beginning to Policing – Proposals for Reform’ that outlined our recommendations on how to reform the current system and, in light of this report, I once again urge Minister Frances Fitzgerald to take them on board and consider their implementation.” GOVERNMENT RESPONSIBLE FOR SERIOUS FAILINGS IN JUSTICE DEPARTMENT – Mac LOCHLAINN was last modified: July 28th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Department of JusticePadraig Mac Lochlainnreview
(Editor’s Note: Wilmington’s Lou Cimaglia was finalist for the award in 2016.)SALEM, MA — Below is an announcement from Congressman Seth Moulton, who represents Wilmington in the Sixth Congressional District of Massachusetts:Congressman Seth Moulton is proud to announce the fourth annual Peter J. Gomes Service Award, to be given to an individual in the Sixth Congressional District of Massachusetts who best epitomizes the qualities of integrity, compassion, and commitment to community that were the foundation of the late Reverend Professor Peter J. Gomes’ teachings.The annual Peter J. Gomes Service Award will be given to a resident of the Sixth Congressional District who best exemplifies his commitment to service. Fill out this brief form to describe the nominee and how he or she lives the ideals and commitment to community espoused by the Professor Gomes. A panel of judges will carefully review the entries before making a final selection.Nominations will be accepted through August 19, 2019. Finalists will be notified in advance of the award presentation in early September. The location is North Shore Community College in Lynn, MA. The ceremony will be immediately followed by a Day of Service. All nominators and nominees are invited to participate in the Day of Service.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedCongressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Community”Congressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Community”Congressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Government”
Kolkata: The outbound passenger load at Bagdogra Airport has crossed the mark of 4,000 on Sunday.With a sharp increase in the passenger load at Bagdogra Airport, the outbound passenger count on Sunday was 4,011.It may be mentioned that recently, the announcement of two additional flights of AirAsia from the airport had come and it had taken the total number of flights to 26. The two additional flights are connecting Bagdogra directly with Delhi and Kolkata. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsAccording to the experts, the passenger load is expected to go up further with the summer vacation approaching, as people will choose to visit Darjeeling and Sikkim with schools and colleges remaining closed. It may be recalled that the Mamata Banerjee government has waived the tax on aviation turbine fuel (ATF) and it has helped increase the number of flight operations from Bagdogra. Moreover, the development of necessary infrastructure for tourism in North Bengal has also ensured a constant flow of tourists in the region. A large section of tourists now prefer flights to reach their destination, as it saves time. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedIt was on February 23 that Bagdogra Airport set a new record of crossing the 2 million passenger count in the last fiscal. Moreover, the Chief Minister herself was the 2 millionth passenger, when she took a flight from Bagdogra Airport to return to Kolkata after her North Bengal tour.Bagdogra Airport had witnessed a record increase of passengers by 53 percent in April-December in 2017, compared to that of the corresponding period in 2016, when around 10.61 lakh passengers had availed flights from the airport from April to December. In 2017, the figure went up to 16.28 lakh, which is an increase of over 50 percent. With the increase in passenger count, better passenger amenities have also been ensured at the airport.
Share Friday, January 6, 2017 NEW YORK — One minute you’re looking at the bright lights of Las Vegas from 150 metres in the air. Then, you’re bouncing in a safari in an African jungle. Finally, you’re navigating the slopes at Whistler Blackcomb on a stunning spring day.And you haven’t even left your living room.Virtual reality, sometimes called VR, is a growing marketing tool for the tourism industry, giving potential travellers the chance to sample cities and special events from the comfort of home.Travelweek jumped onboard the trend early, launching the Xplr VR App, which gives agents access to the technology to showcases destinations in VR to their clients. For more information, visit xplrvr.comNick Mattera, senior director of digital engagement at the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Association, says offering a VR experience for the city, with its impactful visual content, made sense.“Virtual reality has had a huge impact” on tourism, says Mattera. “When we first started doing it, we wanted to have a few of those ‘wow’ experiences, experiences that give people the opportunity to think a little differently about Las Vegas.”There are now 30 videos on the association’s VegasVR app — from the aforementioned helicopter ride, to a Richard Petty NASCAR driving experience, and hotel and restaurant tours.More news: Flights cancelled as British Airways hit by computer problemRobin Ritchie, an associate professor of marketing at the Sprott School of Business at Carleton University in Ottawa, says Las Vegas is the perfect destination for virtual reality due to its seemingly never-ending visuals.“It’s a very content-rich, dense environment where no matter where you look there’s something interesting to see,” he explains. “We’re not talking about every small town here, there and everywhere getting involved in VR. It’s about immersing yourself in an experience and knowing, ‘I have to go there.”’Ritchie mentions a few Canadian cities where VR would make sense as a promotional tool, including Banff and Jasper in Alberta, Whistler, B.C., and Vancouver.Destination British Columbia developed its own VR content back in 2014, which it calls “The Wild Within VR Experience.”“It’s hard to imagine what a trip to British Columbia might be like — the nature, the scenery, and the wildlife — so we felt using VR was a great way to do that,” says Maya Lange, vice president of global marketing at Destination British Columbia.“What compels people to want to visit British Columbia is nature. It’s (now) something that can be tangible and you can really give people the sense of what it’s like to stand in the middle of a huge forest. It’s a pretty powerful feeling.”More news: AMResorts has a new Sr. Dir. of Cdn. Sales & Consortia Rel’nsLange admits it’s hard to find a direct correlation between the VR experience and an impact on tourism numbers, but she says this year they hit five million international visitors for the first time.Ottawa is also expecting a big boost in tourism in 2017 as Canada celebrates its 150th anniversary. While VR will not be a part of any official Ottawa 2017 events, according to Ottawa Tourism, two museums have collaborated with Ottawa-based VR company SimWave to create high-tech content.At the Canada Science and Technology Museum patrons will be able to go “inside” an old steam locomotive and “drive” it. SimWave will also collaborate with the Canadian War Museum to create a Vimy Ridge experience — where patrons can interact with the environment and soldiers during battle — as part of the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Virtual Reality experiences becoming big part of tourism campaigns By: Devin Kinasz << Previous PostNext Post >>
<< Previous PostNext Post >> Posted by MONTREAL — Transat A.T. Inc. has signed a deal to sell its Jonview Canada tour business to Japanese travel company H.I.S. Co. Ltd. for $44 million.Jonview Canada, the country’s leading incoming tour operator, sells tour packages for international visitors to Canada. The company employs 180 people in Toronto and Montreal, along with 120 seasonal guides, and brings in approximately 300,000 international visitors to Canada annually.The sale is subject to the approval of the Competition Bureau of Canada, and is expected to close on or around Nov. 30. The price will be adjusted at closing.According to Transat’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Jean-Marc Eustache, the sale is part of the company’s strategic refocusing around its leisure travel operations in Canada and development of its hotel division. “The sale of our Canadian incoming tour operator business will accelerate development of those key sectors,” he said.Hideo Hatano, Executive Officer, Global Business Development Division, H.I.S. Co. Ltd., added: “The acquisition of Jonview Canada is in keeping with our ambitious expansion plan in North America, and bodes well for the development of this leading incoming tour operator, which has become a reference for Canada as a travel destination.” Travelweek Group Transat A.T. selling Jonview Canada tour business for $44M Tags: Transat Friday, October 27, 2017