Salute @kobebryant on that Oscar!! #WeAreMoreThanShutUpDribble #UJustContinueToSitBackAndWatch— LeBron James (@KingJames) March 5, 2018 Congrats to KOBE first Oscar that’s big bro #dearbasketball. Proud of you, Big honor for you and your family. I’m jealous lol— SHAQ (@SHAQ) March 5, 2018 Kobe Bryant, won the Best Animated Short Film Oscar for ‘Dear Basketball.” (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)Despite the suit being settled 15 years ago, Kobe Bryant is still feeling the consequences of being accused of rape. The former Los Angeles Laker secured his first Oscar on Sunday, March 4 for his documentary, “Dear Basketball” as a petition that hoped his nomination would be removed continues to collect signatures.“The Oscars almost avoided nominating sexual predators for awards. Woody Allen and James Franco didn’t get anything. But Kobe Bryant, who was charged with a horrific sexual assault, was nominated,” petition creator Kelsey Bourgeois wrote on the Care2 petition, which has nearly met its 17,000 signature goal. “An important conversation has been started about sexual assault and harassment, so why is Bryant being honored for best animated short if Time really is Up?”Bryant was accused of sexually assaulting a hotel employee in 2003. The then-24-year-old NBA star, who was married to his wife, Vanessa, maintained the encounter was a consensual one. During a 2004 hearing, the 19-year-old accuser refused to testify and the parties ultimately settled out of court.During the 90th annual Academy Awards, Bryant appeared surprised by his honor for Best Animated Short. He continuously glanced down at the statue in his hands.“I don’t know if it’s possible. I mean, as basketball players, we are really supposed to shut up and dribble,” he said, referencing viral comments a Fox News host made about LeBron James and Kevin Durant. “But I am glad we do a little bit more than that.”If it were up to Bourgeois, however, he wouldn’t have been able to snag the trophy in the first place.“He settled with his accuser,” Bourgeois, an advocacy communications coordinator for Care2 and sexual assault survivor told Broadly Friday, March 2. “So in my mind, that doesn’t really make him innocent — it just makes him able to pay off someone who he wronged. I, of course, couldn’t possibly know what actually happened. But we have to believe women, especially when they accuse men who are typically ‘above the law,’ so to speak.”Regardless, Bryant, who has not spoken publicly about the petition, got lots of congratulatory messages from fellow athletes upon winning the award.Congrts @kobebryant https://t.co/q5AmPq1SKH— DWade (@DwyaneWade) March 5, 2018
Earlier this week, FOLIO: reported that Doubledown Media, the publisher of magazines aimed at the Wall Street elite, has ceased operations. This morning, as I was scanning the newsstand, I came across a couple remnants of the once-rising enterprise—and was seeing double. Literally.Side-by-side, the November/December issue of Doubledown’s Trader Monthly and the December/January issue of Dealmaker are nearly identical. The cover subjects—Dean Smith and Wray Thorn, respectively—are posed and photographed the same way. The coverlines are near mirror images of each other.Flipping through, I found—wait, yes—identical feature stories. Word for word. Page for page. With little in the way of design changes. Admittedly, I was not a subscriber to Doubledown’s magazines, so I don’t know if this happened often or was an isolated incident. While I understand that Trader Monthly and Dealmaker had similar readerships (and advertisers) there is no excuse for such blatant, lazy sharing of copy.
Tags 12 Comments Share your voice Security It’s hard to be sure where you are on the internet these days. Carefully checking the URL is one approach to avoiding danger. Trouble is, many fraudulent websites use tricks to make their URLs look like the real deal. Now, Google wants to call them out.To do that, the company is developing a new warning in its Chrome browser that appears when you’re visiting a site that’s mimicking a well-known web page. The warning could ask you, for example, if you actually meant to go to “paypal.com” when you were headed to a lookalike scam site called “paypa1.com” instead.The warning is intended to take the pressure off you to notice when something’s wrong with the URL. That’s important because most people don’t notice when they’re headed off to a scam site, Google Chrome engineer Emily Stark said in a talk on Tuesday at the Enigma Conference, a security and privacy event. “What people are seeing in the URL bar really just isn’t helpful to them as a security mechanism,” Stark said.The warning could help make it harder to carry out on one of the most pervasive and effective hacking attacks out there — phishing. If users heed Chrome warnings, it could save them from entering usernames, passwords or credit card information into websites controlled by criminals. It could also keep them from downloading malicious software at scam websites that could do things like encrypt their data and demand a ransom.Scammy websites use a number of tricks to look legitimate in that URL field at the top of your web browser. They might use a slight misspelling, or swap out the number one for a lowercase letter L to look like a legitimate website. The latter is called a homograph attack, and it’s powerful because it usually involves characters that the untrained eye will miss. The new warning, which is still being tested, alerts users to the fact that they aren’t heading to a popular website or a website they’ve engaged with in the past. If the user wants to keep going in that direction, they can click “ignore.” Stark said her team wanted to throw up a flag for users without overselling the danger.”We designed this warning to be informational rather than scary,” she said. The talk follows comments Chrome security experts made in September about security problems involving URLs. At the time, Google said its engineers were researching how to make changes to the way Chrome handles URLs in order to improve safety. On Tuesday, Stark said changes Google and other software developers propose should be “incremental.” Still, no idea is too crazy to at least consider, she said.”Website identity is so, so broken that all ideas should be on the table,” Stark said. Hacking Privacy
AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury. File PhotoBikalpa Dhara Bangladesh (BDB) president AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury suffered a mild stroke early Friday, reports UNB.“Badruddoza Chowdhury suffered a minor stroke and he was advised to take a two-week full bed rest by his daughter and personal physician Shaila Sharmin Chowdhury,” said B Chowdhury’s press secretary Jahangir Alam.The BDB chief is now under best rest at his residence under the supervision of Shaila Sharmin, he said.Badruddoza Chowdhury urged the countrymen to pray for his early recovery, Jahangir Alam added.