Yankees and Red Sox to play in London in 2019

first_imgJo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Boston will be the home team for both of MLB’s first games in Europe on June 29 and 30, 2019. The stadium will have a capacity of 55,000 in a baseball configuration.MLB said it also “committed to playing in London in 2020 and our intention is to establish a long-term footprint in the city” as American sports further embrace British fans.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe NFL has played regular-season games in London since 2007, holding 18 games at Wembley and three at Twickenham. Three more NFL games are scheduled for this year, including one at Tottenham’s new stadium.The NBA and NHL have also held regular-season games in London. P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ MOST READ “The stadium infrastructure in this city gives Major League Baseball every opportunity to put on a first-class event,” Manfred said. “We hope this series will be the beginning of a relationship with London that persists and a continuation of increasing exposure for Major League Baseball in Europe.”MLB has put renewed emphasis on international games since Manfred became commissioner in 2015.Cleveland and Minnesota played a two-game series last month in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego meet in a three-game series in Monterrey, Mexico, that starts Friday. MLB announced Tuesday that Oakland and Seattle will open next season at the Tokyo Dome on March 20-21.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames FILE – This Aug. 3, 2012, aerial file photo shows the Olympic Stadium at Olympic Park, in London. A person familiar with the planning tells The Associated Press that Major League Baseball intends to announce next week plans have been finalized to have the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox play a two-game series at London’s Olympic Stadium on June 29-30 next year. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday, May 3, 2018, because no public comments were authorized. These will be the first regular-season MLB games in Europe. The Red Sox will be the home team for the both games. (AP Photo/Jeff J Mitchell, File)LONDON — The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox will face each other in two regular-season games at the Olympic Stadium in London next year.“We are bringing you one of the best rivalries in baseball,” MLS Commissioner Rob Manfred said Tuesday.ADVERTISEMENT View comments UP rallies to shock Gilas Pilipinas in Filoil Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Wrongful conviction award for British Columbia man capped at 8 million

first_imgVANCOUVER – The B.C. Court of Appeal says the provincial government will not have to pay the full $8 million in compensation awarded to a man who spent 27 years in prison before he was acquitted of sexual assault.A B.C. Supreme Court judge granted Ivan Henry the award last year, saying the Crown wrongfully withheld relevant information in a “shocking disregard” for his rights.Henry was convicted of 10 counts of sexual assault in 1983 and was given an indefinite sentence before he was released on appeal and then acquitted of the charges in 2010.Henry had settled out of court in a damage claim against the City of Vancouver and the federal government for $5.1 million, with the lower court judge ruling the money should be deducted from the damage award against the province.Henry appealed the decision, saying the award of constitutional damages was for more than compensation and included damages for vindication and deterrence.But an Appeal Court panel of three judges unanimously disagreed and said requiring the province to pay the entire $8 million settlement on top of the $5.1 million would have constituted a double recovery for Henry.“He would receive an additional sum in the millions of dollars, which would not be fair to the state,” Justice David Tysoe says in the written ruling released Monday.The court says additional awards against the city and the federal government for vindication and deterrence weren’t necessary.The lower court decision said the Crown in Henry’s original trial made an intentional decision not to disclose information relevant to his case, including that Vancouver police had more than one suspect for the sexual assaults.last_img read more

Jamaican athlete dies in bike crash

first_img Related Items:#GermaineMasondiesinbikecrash, #Jamaicanathletediesincrash, #magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppJamaica, April 20, 2017 – Kingston – Retired Jamaican-born British athlete Germaine Mason died in an early morning bike crash along the Palisadoes road in Kingston.  It has been reported that the Olympic medalist, who is a close friend of Usain Bolt, was leaving a party this morning when he lost control of his motorcycle on the Norman Manley Boulevard in East Kingston at 4:20 AM and died instantly.Traffic Police says Mason was only person involved in the crash and was not wearing a helmet at the time. Bolt and fellow Olympian Michael Frater were among the first on the scene.  Thirty four year-old Mason won Olympic silver for UK in 2008 in the high-jump event.  He retains the Jamaican national record for high jump.Story by: Sheri-kae McLeod#MagneticMediaNews#Jamaicanathletediesincrash#GermaineMasondiesinbikecrashlast_img read more

Kalidou Koulibaly has no regrets for choosing Senegal over France

first_imgNapoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly insists he has no regrets for choosing to play for Senegal over new world champions FranceThe 27-year-old was eligible to represent France at international level due to having been born in the country at Saint-Dié-des-Vosges.Koulibaly even went on play for the France U-20 team before deciding to switches allegiances to Senegal in 2015 – where his parents come from.Despite France going on to the 2018 World Cup in Russia though, Koulibaly has no doubts over whether or not he made the right decision.“I don’t have any regrets because I want to write the story of the future of Senegal football and I hope I’ll be able to do that,” Koulibaly told BBC.Opinion: Neymar will earn respect back from the PSG fans Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After completing his incredible return to Parc des Princes, we predict that Neymar will earn the respect back from PSG supporters.The situation between Neymar…“For me [the World Cup] was a good experience because I wanted to show that Senegal is one of the best teams in Africa.“I spoke about the decision with my wife and I chose to go with Senegal.“When I saw the light in the eyes of my parents when I told them I had chosen Senegal, I was really happy and comfortable with my choice.”Koulibaly has since made 29 appearances at international level for Senegal.last_img read more

Congressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A Difference

first_img(Editor’s Note: Wilmington’s Lou Cimaglia was finalist for the award in 2016.)SALEM, MA — Below is an announcement from Congressman Seth Moulton, who represents Wilmington in the Sixth Congressional District of Massachusetts:Congressman Seth Moulton is proud to announce the fourth annual Peter J. Gomes Service Award, to be given to an individual in the Sixth Congressional District of Massachusetts who best epitomizes the qualities of integrity, compassion, and commitment to community that were the foundation of the late Reverend Professor Peter J. Gomes’ teachings.The annual Peter J. Gomes Service Award will be given to a resident of the Sixth Congressional District who best exemplifies his commitment to service. Fill out this brief form to describe the nominee and how he or she lives the ideals and commitment to community espoused by the Professor Gomes. A panel of judges will carefully review the entries before making a final selection.Nominations will be accepted through August 19, 2019. Finalists will be notified in advance of the award presentation in early September. The location is North Shore Community College in Lynn, MA. The ceremony will be immediately followed by a Day of Service. All nominators and nominees are invited to participate in the Day of Service.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedCongressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Community”Congressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Community”Congressman Moulton Is Seeking Nominations Of Wilmington Residents Who Make A DifferenceIn “Government”last_img read more

French Green Goblin will try to fly from France to England again

first_img Share your voice 🇫🇷🇬🇧 HAPPENING NOW: “Flyboard” creator Franky Zapata lifts off from Calais, France to cross the English Channel @frankyzapata #flyboardair pic.twitter.com/j3l96lURa3— Bloomberg TicToc (@tictoc) July 25, 2019 4 Comments Marvel Spiderman Culture Sport and Outdoors take that, green goblin https://t.co/YnAL2efT9i— Marty (@MartyDaxnger) July 25, 2019 Tags On Tuesday, Zapata’s team told AFP they’ll try to avoid repeating the mistake on Sunday by using a bigger boat stationed in French waters for refueling. France’s authorities wouldn’t allow that for last Thursday’s attempt.Last week’s attempt was timed to mark the 110th anniversary of the first aerial crossing of the channel. Louis Bleriot’s 1909 trip took 37 minutes.Unsurprisingly, the internet continued its comparisons to the Marvel Comics villain.  Zapata’s company website notes that the Flyboard Air isn’t available for recreational use and would require 100 hours of training on its water variant if it were. So you can’t become Green Goblin anytime soon. It’ll probably take at least two sequels.First published July 25 at 2:51 a.m. PT.Updated July 31 at 4:55 a.m. PT: Adds that Zapata will try again on Sunday. We’ll meet again, Spider-Man. On Sunday, as it turns out. Jack Chan/Xinhua via Getty Franky Zapata, the French inventor who looked a whole lot like Spider-Man archnemesis Green Goblin as he flew a hoverboard through Paris during June’s Bastille Day celebrations, took an unsuccessful first shot at flying across the English Channel last Thursday, and he’ll try again this Sunday.In his previous attempt, he took off near Calais, France, on his invention — the turbine engine-powered Flyboard Air — and flew across the channel toward St. Margaret’s Bay in Dover, England. He planned to make the 22-mile journey in around 20 minutes, with a quick stop on a boat to refill his power pack with kerosene, the Associated Press noted.Unfortunately, he fell into the water when he tried to land on a boat for refueling. His wife, Christelle, told the AP that the waves moved the landing platform too much. Zapata wasn’t injured in the fall, and French divers rescued him quickly. last_img read more

At least 16 killed as train hits bus in Russia

first_imgA handout picture released by Vladimir region branch of the Russian interior ministry shows the site of a collision, after a train slammed into a passenger bus that had broken down on a level crossing, near the city of Vladimir, some 110 kilometres (70 miles) east of the Russian capital, on 6 October 2017. Photo: AFPAt least 16 people were killed on Friday when a train slammed into a bus that had broken down on a level crossing east of Moscow, authorities said.Uzbekistan’s foreign ministry said in a statement that 19 Uzbek citizens had died in the crash, but Russia’s Investigative Committee reported a lower figure.The accident occurred before dawn on Friday near the town of Pokrov, some 110 kilometres (70 miles) east of the Russian capital.”According to preliminary information, 16 people, including a child, have been killed,” the Investigative Committee said.”Other passengers, including minors, have been taken to hospital with various injuries. The number of dead and injured is being ascertained,” it said, confirming it had opened an investigation.The regional interior ministry said the bus broke down on the level crossing.The train, travelling at 90 kilometres per hour from the second city of Saint Petersburg to Nizhny Novgorod, east of Moscow, slammed into the bus at 3:29am (0029 GMT) on Friday.The train was 400 metres away from the crossing when the driver slammed on emergency brakes and sounded a warning alarm, but it was not able to stop before it hit the vehicle, Russian Railways said.- All victims on the bus -==========================All of those killed were on the bus, which was carrying 58 people, 56 of them Uzbek nationals.The remaining two were drivers from Kazakhstan.”There are no victims among the train passengers,” the interior ministry said.Images from the scene showed the white Mercedes bus had been almost completely torn apart with most of its roof ripped off and debris scattered across the tracks.The Uzbek ambassador to Russia was on his way to the scene along with other staff from the embassy, it said.A team of experts were flying to the region to offer assistance, it added.The foreign ministry of neighbouring Kazakhstan confirmed the two bus drivers, one of whom was killed, were Kazakh nationals.The train continued on its route at around 11:00am local time.- Accident mortality very high -The collision appears to be Russia’s most deadly accident involving a train since 2006 when 22 people were killed when a train struck a bus at an unprotected crossing in the southern Krasnodar region.In 1996, a train hit a school bus in the area of the southern city of Rostov-on-Don, killing 21 children and injuring 19 others. The driver was unable to see the bus early enough to brake because of a heavy fog.Russia’s road accident mortality rate is extremely high, although it has been declining over the past few years.Some 20,000 people died in car crashes in Russia in 2016.Seventeen people were killed in August when a bus carrying construction workers veered off a pier and plunged into the Black Sea.last_img read more

Two Viqarunnisa teachers indicted over Aritree suicide

first_imgAritree Adhikari. Photo: CollectedA Dhaka court on Wednesday indicted two teachers of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College in a case over the suicide of ninth grader Aritree Adhikari.Dhaka third additional metropolitan sessions judge Md Rabiul Alam framed the charges against them in the case, reports UNB.Those indicted are – acting principal Nazneen Ferdous, morning shift in-charge of Bailey Road branch Zeenat Akhter.The court also fixed 27 October for starting trial in the case.Earlier, a court accepted the charge-sheet against the former principal and the Bailey Road branch head of the school in the case.The court also exempted Hasna Hena, class teacher of Aritree, from the charges.On 20 March, detective branch inspector Quamrul HasanTalukdar, also the investigation officer of the case, submitted the charge-sheet against the two teachers before the court.Aritree Adhikari, a Class-IX student, committed suicide at their Shantinagar residence in the city on 3 December 2018 after allegedly being rebuked by teachers for using mobile phone during examination.Victim’s father Dilip Adhikari filed a case against three teachers of the school.last_img read more

St Louis Broadcaster Who Called MLK Coon Will Temporarily Leave Anchor Desk

first_imgBy The Associated PressA St. Louis newscaster who uttered what he called an unintentional racial slur while discussing Martin Luther King Jr. says he will step away from the anchor desk while he works to regain viewers’ trust.KTVI-TV’s Kevin Steincross said on Jan. 17 that an upcoming tribute would honor “Martin Luther Coon Jr.” He apologized and station management initially said he would not be disciplined.Kevin Steincross (Screengrab)But the St. Louis County NAACP demanded the station fire Steincross.On Jan. 25, Steincross apologized again. He and station management issued statements saying they agreed Steincross should take a break from the anchor desk and address the “pain (Steincross) caused.”Station management says they met with several Black and civic organizations and employees to hear their views.The statements didn’t indicate how long Steincross would be away from the anchor desklast_img read more

Picture perfect

first_img17th Bharat Rang Mahotsav organised another phase of Living Legend Series with Raghu Rai. He gave a lecture demonstration on the art of photography in Bahumukh Auditorium, NSD Campus on February 13.He believes that India is a great country for any person to nurture his creativity because the culture is diverse and there are various kinds of people that can be found here. The Padmashree award winner captures real life moments in his camera.  Rai spoke about how he evolved as a photographer and shared a few of his photographs with the audience on various real life situations. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The way he explains the inner depth meaning of each photograph is commendable. Rai truly justified the statement- A Picture is worth a thousand words. He said, “Creativity is not about beauty. It means to capture expression and energy.”Playwright Krishna Sobti also gave a lecture-demonstration as a part of the Living Legend series on February 14. She said, “Love, fear, spirituality and mentality become a part of your thinking when you’re on stage.”last_img read more